This site is dedicated to Filiberto Ojeda Rios 1933 - 2005
The beautiful Island of Puerto Rico, a place where Puerto Ricans from all around the world call home. For many years Puerto Ricans have fought for the island's freedom only to be silenced by the United States or by the corrupt and unjust politics of Washington.
Puerto Rico has never seen freedom because of a foreign country called the United States which itself was struggling for Independence only 200 years ago. Puerto Rico has always been a colony, first colonized by the Spanish, later by the Americans.
Puerto Ricans have faced some of the toughest times through out history of any other Latin American country and are the only Latin American Colony to not have gained its independence. Puerto Rican Independence has long been overdue.
Price Of Freedom
- Genocide - (The mass killing of Tainos by the Spanish, that ultimately wiped them out)
- Slavery - (thousands of slaves were brought from West Africa)
- Oppression - (some of the worst seen by any Latin American Country)
- War - (America fought the Spanish on Puerto Rican Soil, only to gain more land and power.. killing many innocent Puerto Ricans)
- Strategical and Scientific Experiments - (America tried to wipe out the Puerto Ricans by sterilizing Puerto Rican women and derooting Puerto Ricans by sending them out of Puerto Rico, to make way for their own use of the island)
- Unjust Labor - (many Puerto Rican men were sent by the U.S. to work on mines, farms, and machine warehouses)
- Segregation and Racism - (much like America, Puerto Rico was put under laws of segregation like the Jim Crow laws only it was not put in place by Puerto Ricans it was put in place by America)
- No Voice - (The Puerto Rican people have no decision or voice in what happens to the island. U.S. does not give them the right, and Congress doesn't take Puerto Rican issues seriously unless its concerns the Island's statehood. The Puerto Rican goverment doesn't make alot of its decision based on what the people want, but what the U.S. goverment wants)